Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Costa Rica Day

So yesterday was Costa Rican Independence Day (September 15). We didn't do much, as I was prepping for Fatty's birthday today. But Princess did wear her traditional Costa Rican dress. The day before, On Monday the 14th, Boobie had a celebration at his school with food, dancing, music and a few patriotic songs and speeches.

I was very proud of Boobie for the moves he put down on the concrete dance floor. Not bad for only a few short weeks of practice. Not to mention how cute they all looked dressed Tico style in their traditional wear.

This is my my fourth Costa Rican independence day.... my first Tico type celebration. And I have to say, though it does not mean as much to me as it does to a Tico, it did make me a little blurry eyed, watching the kids reciting with pride, their national anthem and pledge. And the girls, proudly carrying their flag. It reminded me of the 4th of July (sadly, I have to admit, I cannot remember any independence celebration in Jamaica.)

That night, we actually got a chance to watch some fireworks in the sky overlooking our back yard (we have the best view). It really was something special.

I look forward to next year's celebration. And hope it is just as fun and full of pride as this one.







Dancing the traditional dance (Boobie is standing on the left in the blue/white long sleeve shirt)


on our way to the celebration



My 3 Ticos!!!

No comments: