Friday, November 20, 2009

Can You Believe This?

So yesterday afternoon, I get a call from Boobie's school. It's the secretary. She called to inform me that the director does not want Boobie to return next year so not to bother to pay the tuition or enrollment fee. OOOOOOOOH KAY!!!!! What The Fick!!! Seriously... is this something you do over the damn phone.... what were they expecting me to say... how was the conversation supposed to go....

School: "Hello, yes, by the way, we don't want your kid back next year so don't bother paying the 'matricula or 'mensualidad' (basically, we're not accepting his application for re-entrance)."

Me: "Ok, that's fine. Thank you and have a good day." Yeah.... No!

With such potentially devastating news, and drastic measures, why not call and set up a meeting first to discuss things?

Oh and the reason for not wanting my son back: his conduct. Bull.

Boobie is just doing typical kid stuff; talking in class, playing around, not listening. I know he can be difficult, so I am NOT excusing his behavior. But he's not violent, not fighting with kids, not threatening the teachers. He is a 9 year old BOY! HELLO! Is him misbehaving a little too much a reason to essentially kick him out of the school? I guess it is.

For a Christian school, they sure have no tolerance. What about second chances..... let the kid have another go... another year to prove himself. I have an inkling that Boobie being asked to not return to the school has something to do with the fact that we don't have a church or attend church regularly. The problem child has no God in his life. Whatever!

Well, I met with the director today. So did father in law (not sure how his meeting went as we met with her separately, but I am pretty positive it went pretty much the same). I wasn't going to beg to keep my son in their school, but I just wanted some explanation, no matter how half-assed, of their reasoning for asking a child to leave due to conduct. I guess it's in the rule book, somewhere, that the school can refuse entrance due to many things, including a child's behavior. Bad conduct is cause for expulsion. Geez... give a kid an inch will ya?

She was very nonchalant about the whole situation, even about the phone call, saying that that is how they 'do things'. Yeah, a phone call... nice. Very professional. I am not mad, just disappointed (excuse my tone). BUT I am glad Boobie will not be returning next year. Things work out I guess.

Because I fear Boobie changing schools yet again (losing friends yet again), I did ask if there was anything we could do to keep him in the school. No. There was nothing. However, this was her suggestion: put him in another school for next year and then try to re-apply to their school again the following year. Yeah right. No thanks lady. I will not put my kid in a school that does not want him and might potentially label him a problem child. While Boobie was upset about the situation, he is excited at getting the chance to return to his old school... however, that is yet to be determined as we are still unsure what school he'll be attending next year.

It sucks to have to search for another school for Boobie, but I look forward to the challenge. And while I was against sending Boobie to this school in the first place, I was actually warming up to the school some. But I am not going to plead for my kid to stay in a school. There are a million schools out there... one will suit him just fine. I know there is a perfect fit for him somewhere. He's a kid, a sometimes difficult kid but, a good kid and no reason to ask not to have him back. It's their loss, I guess...

No comments: