Thursday, November 26, 2009

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Thanksgiving was a HUGE success..... and although it's still technically Thanksgiving, dinner is over and most of my guests have left for the night.

I am so thankful for so much, and as said in my prayer before dinner today, I ask God for many more blessings and reasons to give thanks in the coming years.

To start things off, I got up at 6 am to do my usual routine (yes, Boobie still had school... remember, Thanksgiving is not celebrated in Costa Rica), and then I started cooking and prepping for my T-day meal.

My menu consisted of:
Herb rubbed turkey
Gravy
Stove Top Stuffing
Herb seasoned garlic and honey buttered green beans
Onion and garlic mashed potatoes
Sweet and sour glazed carrots
Baked mac and cheese topped with bread crumbs
Seasoned vegetable rice
Seasoned black beans
Tuna cheese balls
Tomato, onion and cilantro salsa
7 layer magic bars
Rustic apple pie

My mother in law made a salad that had pineapples, apples, celery and a few other ingredients and it was divine. Hubby's aunt made a salad and my friend D brought a pudding that could knock your socks off. Everything was absolutely deeeeee-licious. YUM!

I had about, including Hubby, myself, and the 3 kiddos, 24 people total. YIKES! Good thing though, as there was more than enough food for everyone, although some things disappeared sooner than others.... for instance the rice and beans and mashed potatoes had pretty mush vanished halfway through the meal.

The turkey, something that can be daunting to cook, was so moist and delicious and yummy. I had let it stand in water with a little salt, sugar and lemon juice Tuesday night. Then Wednesday I seasoned it with a dry herb rub of paprika, oregano, parsley, rosemary, all purpose seasonings, rubbed it all over with butter... then today I stuffed the it with onions, garlic, and cilantro and roasted it in a turkey bag with beer and the turkey juices. WOW! Finger licking awesome-ness. I have to say, I have conquered the turkey and it was good.

All my guests, some unexpected but still welcomed, were pleased with the results of dinner. They all had seconds.... and some even had thirds. And of course, some people took a leftovers home. A huge hit was the 7 layer magic bars, along with the turkey and the tuna cheese balls.

I had been worried about the amount of food, wondering if I had made enough. But it was the perfect quantity. I don't have too much left over, but just enough for like one or two days to give me a break from cooking plus everyone went home stuffed to the brim.

Mother in law also made her specialty natural fruit juice and Hubby brought home 2 bottles of Welches grape sparkling cider.

This was an undertaking for me; my first real big Thanksgiving and I look forward to many more.

Pictures to follow.

No comments: