Wednesday, November 25, 2009

School Hunting

Finding a school for Boobie is proving to be trickier than I thought. Ok, I knew it wouldn't be easy, but a certain 'situation' is making things a bit more difficult.

I have dreamt of the 'perfect' school for Boobie ever since he was at Centro Educativo Campestre, a private bilingual school in Sabanilla. I was not 100% happy with Campestre, but it was a good school and Boobie loved it there, so I dealt with it and all it's shortcomings (well, in my opinion anyway).

When he moved to Cristiano Reformado (against my will... more on that later), I was not happy. It was a school I detested (well, not detested, but I certainly had no love for the school). I was hell bent on finding a school that would meet my standards and also make a good fit for Boobie. Let's just say Boobie not being asked to return to Cristiano Reformado is a blessing and a curse.

I was all too happy to find Boobie a new school, I just wished it was on our terms. Being essentially expelled for bad conduct proves to be a 'not so good thing'. Many private schools require their students, incoming and otherwise, to have high grades in conduct. Two schools I interviewed with had a requirement of 80 or better for conduct in order for a child to be accepted.

Well, that to me is unacceptable. For starters, like I said, Boobie is not a bad kid, just a little difficult (and who isn't). For a school to not accept a child because they talk too much in class is a bit ludicrous to me. They are kids... who doesn't talk when the teacher is teaching. I never got in trouble in school, but I sure as hell talked in class every now and again.

I had an interview with this one school that I sort of liked. Fairly big, nice green area from what I saw and a huge gym and indoor basketball court. I thought to myself, 'what a nice school' (from the look of it anyway. First impressions go along way... and I only saw a bit of the school from the short walk from the entrance to the office).

What sold me even more on the school was that it had a library! Las Americas, located in Moravia, but very close to our house, looked like it could be the school for Boobie. Not too expensive, fairly close to home, and a nice looking campus. But the catch.... they need to talk to Boobie's old principal first, as they have to settle this thing about his conduct. I hope despite her feelings towards my son, the principal gives him as nice a recommendation as she can manage. I would hate for Boobie to miss out on going to a potentially good school because she might have ill feelings towards him.

Ok, so I was curious about his conduct. I mean, if he got expelled from the school for bad behavior, his conduct must have been grave...say 50 or less, right? Wrong. Boobie got a 70 in conduct. Last time I checked, and if they are grading conduct based on 'grades', 70 was passing in my book. So why the harsh actions to kick him out of school. I say hip hip hooray! I didn't want him to return to the school for next year anyway, but I didn't want to uproot him again either. Thankfully, Boobie doesn't mind having to switch schools. He wasn't too fond of Cristiano Reformado in the first place and missed Campestre very much.

Now why did he leave Campestre then, you may be wondering? Well, he was having behavior issues there too... almost failing second grade because of it ( and at the end of the year, having to do the make up exams TWICE!) We thought the school was not conducive to his learning and figured another school would be the way to go (change of scenery and environment, maybe change of behavior)... plus Campestre was getting more and more expensive and to spend that much money when Boobie was barely learning was insane. Our mistake.

So I just hope my search for the right school will not be in vain. I have seen 4 so far... and of all 4, there is only one that meets most of what I am looking for in a school for Boobie. I hope the stars align and I get the call that I'm waiting for, bringing good news..."yes, we can accept your son...."

No comments: