Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Rains Have Come

And so it is. Winter time has finally reached us... a little late, but it's here.

I can't say I am upset. I'm actually happy the rainy season showed up. It's good news for the earth and the vegetation, the flora and fauna.

I was starting to get just a little bit worried when October, supposedly the rainiest month, was hardly rainy at all. The poor crops were suffering. I loved all the beautiful sunny days, but I get antsy when the weather doesn't go as planned (that's an oxymoron, I know). But we all know, come October, better hunker down for a lot of rain. When that didn't happen, I feared winter had just passed us by, which would not have been a good sign. Not to fear though, it decided to show it's rainy head late. It's now November and like clockwork, the rains move in. Sunny mornings, sometimes so sunny and hot, you have to stay indoors. Then by the afternoon, the sun disappears,the day cools down and the dark clouds, synonymous with showers, blanket the sky. It rains sometimes all night. Most times, it only rains until the early evening or late afternoon. But it's raining every day now, like it should.

So true to winter time routines, get all your errands and chores done before noon. Because if you don't, you'll have to wait it out until the next day. Like the saying goes, "the early bird catches the worm". Back in middle school in Jamaica, my teacher used to have a lesson on the board for all the early arrivals to do as extra credit for the day. If you came early and got it done, kudos to you and the chance to enhance your grade. If you were late, tough luck. So just like that, things must be done early in winter, or tough luck. And no 'worms for you' until tomorrow.

No comments: