Tuesday, November 3, 2009

We Have A Problem

Boobie, my not so sweet, not too innocent, but still my baby Boobie, is starting to steal. Not sure when it started or even why, but ever since an incident that occurred a few weeks ago while visiting friends with mother in law, I've had to keep a watchful eye on him.

I know it has to do with the age. Kids steal; it's human nature. There are so many reasons why we steal. And in all honesty, none of them are excusable.

When I was a kid growing up, we were poor. I used to steal money (a dollar here or there) from my grandmother's shop to buy snacks to eat. I know if I asked her, more than likely, she would have given me the money, but that never crossed my mind. All I thought was, we were already hard up for cash. Asking for money to buy treats was out of the question. I just figured I'd take it and hope she didn't find out or that I wouldn't get caught.

With Boobie's stealing, it disappoints me. We're not poor. We're not rich either, but we're not desolate. He knows anything he wants, within reason, is given to him if he asks. He may be a little spoiled, but why would he steal knowing that the things he steals are easy to come by. He gets an allowance every so often, so he can buy the little things he wants.

I was told in secret by mother in law about his theft a couple of weeks ago. She had taken him with her to visit a friend of hers. While at their house, Boobie took a car that belonged to one of the boys and lied about it. However, the lie was just too big for him and he couldn't cover his tracks well enough. Since he was the last one they saw with the car, they knew he was the culprit and so he had to give it back and apologize. I know mother in law must have been mortified. But I was so shocked. This wasn't the first time he had stolen, but the first time he had done it on purpose and the first serious offense, to my knowledge.

Mother in law made me promise not to make a big deal about it because she had had 'the talk' with boobie and was confident he wouldn't steal again.

Fast forward to Friday, the night before Halloween. Boobie had a sleepover at his friend J's house. The following evening, as I was getting the kids ready for bed, I noticed a brand new stack of Ben 10 trading cards on Boobie's dresser. I am used to him coming home with new toys all the time, especially from J's house. They trade toys sometimes and J has so many duplicate stuff, he just gives them away to Boobie. But this was a brand new set of cards, the price tag still on them. I knew J wouldn't have just given them to Boobie.

So I ask boobie where he got the cards from.

"Dada", he answers.

Now, I know Hubby. I know he didn't buy those cards... not only because it wasn't really feasible for him to actually find the time in his busy schedule to pick up Ben 10 cards, but because Hubby doesn't usually buy stuff like that for Boobie. Unless Boobie is with him and specifically asks. I know they didn't have time between Friday and Saturday to buy those cards.

When I probe further, because I know he's lying, he then says he got the cards from J.

It didn't sit well with me that he had lied to me to begin with, now my gut instincts were telling me that he stole the cards. I ask about a ba-zillion times where he actually got the cards from until the truth finally came out. He took the cards. Or rather, stole the cards, from J; his best friend.

I was so disappointed, hurt and upset.

Well, now he's 'grounded' with all privileges taken away. And he also got a stern talking to from Hubby, as well as mother in law, father in law and yours truly. He also has to give the cards back and apologize. And he's not allowed at J's house for a while.

He did see J on Monday, where he told J about his 'five finger magic trick'. While J wasn't fazed, I know just how upset Boobie would be if somebody took one of his toys or precious little collectibles. He would throw a tantrum. He has got to put himself in other people's shoes the next time he's tempted. And I just hope there isn't a next time.

While I will try not to run with this, I don't want him to think that it's not a big deal. It is! I don't want him stealing and then lying to us to cover his tracks. It only sets him up for even worse behavior in the future.

No comments: