Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Everyone Notices

It can be a good thing when people notice your weigh loss and compliment you on your hard work. But all that attention can turn sour when people start to comment on just how much weight you've lost in the negative.

You've seen my pictures. I am far from anorexic looking. Far from it. Yet at a recent family party, the attention I got, and the comments, made me uncomfortable and self conscious about all the wonderful weight I'd lost.

I have lost about 20 lbs through hard work: exercise and eating right (not dieting). I finally feel great in my skin, love my new body and get excited each day picking out my outfit to wear. My clothes fit great, I have so much more confidence and I finally feel like my old self again. I'm happy about the way I look for the first time in 4 years.

I have to say at first, having people gush over how skinny I am now was super flattering. Now though, it's just old. People actually say I am TOO skinny (so not true) and that I should not lose any more weight (don't worry, I am not trying to lose any more, just maintain).

I feel like people just don't get it. I was over weight before. Maybe not 'fat' by society's standards, but definitely overweight (and unhappy). And since I have to live in this body, I did something about it.

Am I thrilled to be thin once again? Hell YES! Am I happy with the compliments and attention? Yes, sometimes (it does get old real fast). Do I wish people would stop commenting on the negative about my weight loss? Please, yes.

At the forefront of that is my mother in law... quick to comment and agree with anyone who notices my weight loss as too much. I am "too thin" now, they say. Oh please. When did 125 lbs on a 5 ft' 4 in" woman become borderline anorexic (which is what Hubby's cousin called me).

I don't care. I will keep doing what I am doing. After all, it is my body. I know how I look. I know how I want to look. Trust me, I get the concern. But seriously, I am fine. I know my history, and it's not something I want to repeat. I am happy I lost the extra weight the 'right' way (the right way for me anyway). So to everyone who thinks I am too skinny, don't fret... I am just fine. Thanks.

1 comment:

Patsy :) said...

I'm happy for you! You know your body better than ANYone. Keep up the good work, eat healthy and live long...my friend! Your body will love ya for it!

Now, I think you have inspired me!