Saturday, May 22, 2010

Am I Not Cool?

Hubby always ups me on the cool-o-factor meter. No wonder Fatty and Boobie prefer their dad to poor old me; mommy dearest.

Hubby is just more laid back and not as much into the 'rules' like I am. A good example of this is how we handle certain things when it comes to the kids, especially Boobie.

Boobie rarely spends time on the computer. He's not a computer savvy kid. But lately he's shown more and more interest in the computer, partly (or mostly) due to the fact that his best friend is a computer junkie. I mean this kid has his own lap top for Pete's sake.

OK, nothing wrong with computer time right? I mean I'm on this thing almost everyday. Besides it is a techno world and knowing how to work a computer is just plain smart and good sense. A good investment in your future. Why not teach 'em young, right? Right now, mother in law is interested in taking computer classes and wanting to buy a lap top. I guess you're never too old to learn.

It's not that Boobie never liked the computer. He was fascinated by it (like Fatty and Princess are now). It is a cool looking instrument after all. But lately he's been really into the computer and I know why.

When Boobie asked me if he could get an email account and a Club Penguin account, I knew he was under the influence of his friend. His friend has these accounts. Boobie had to have them too. OK, I'm cool. It's 2010. What 10 year old doesn't have an email account huh? So I said yes.

Then Boobie wanted a Face Book account. Really. I didn't even know he knew about Face Book. I don't even have an account. I told him no at first. I am cool, but why does a 10 year old need a Face Book huh? All his friends go to the same school and his best friend lives a mere block or so away. What are they gonna talk about on Face Book that they can't talk about at school? Or on on a play date? Does he even really know how to use a Face Book? Does he himself really want a Face Book or does he want it because his friend J has an account and he wants an account too?

Good questions to ponder on, I thought.

Anyway, I mentioned it to Hubby the other day in passing (who had previously set Boobie up with his own email and Club Penguin accounts ). What was Hubby's response:

"Why not. Sure. Get him an account?"
Me: "But isn't he too young."
Hubby: "No...."

OK, I guess Boobie will get a Face Book account then. If Hubby says it's OK, we can agree on this. Plus I guess there's more to Face Book than corresponding with friends.

And according to Hubby, I should get one too.

So I am gonna set Boobie up with Face Book account. That should up my cool factor, yes? We'll see.

No comments: