Friday, October 30, 2009

My Jog Blog

So far, my jogging has been going great. I have stuck it out this far, three weeks in a row, three days a week for an hour.

I head out as early as 7 am now, instead of 9 am, first with a few simple stretches then a brisk walk to get my body and muscles warmed up. Soon as I feel my groove, I start out with a very slow, comfortable job. I keep the same pace, without stopping (even running in place at stop signs and intersection) for at least half the length of my jog.

On my way back (I run up towards Nova Centro on the 'backside' past the Mega Super in Moravia, then return on the main side back to my town), I speed up a little bit to get my heart racing even more and my legs pumping. It feels so good, almost as if I am flying and the fact that I am not pushing myself too hard makes me proud. The faster paced jog gives me a boost, a second wind, and I feel like I am on cloud 19.

I do get a tad sheepish with all the people watching me, as if they've never seen someone jog before, but it actually works as a stimulator for me, helping me to push forward without stopping. I do like the attention, which is a good incentive to continue. I always did like showing off. LOL

So far, without jogging with the kids, I can jog/run nonstop for the whole hour. I mean, really! Me!! Jogging!!! Nonstop!!!! I would have laughed at anyone who suggested I could do this maybe a month or 2 ago. But here I am now though, jogging like I've been doing it my whole life.

I actually look forward to my jog. Maybe even one day I'll add a weekend day to the routine of Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

My only complaint: my poor feet. I need better running shoes. While my feet don't fare too bad, they sure do feel it as I hit the pavement. Lucky for me, I know how to jog, or at least figured it out so that my feet don't come off too sore. But they do hurt. The stretches at the end help a little.

I don't know where I got the motivation or the will to jog, but I love doing it. I know me finally getting back into an exercise routine has a lot to do with me losing weight and getting healthier, but jogging? Who would have thought!

As I near home, I slow down, trying to get my breath back and easing my heart back to a normal pace (not that I am too out of breath...I never forget to 'breathe'). As I reach home, I take a long swig of water or fruit juice, then do a few more stretches. I even added 2 sets of 15 squats to my workout. I'll work my way up to sit ups eventually. I did 30 the other night and my stomach was on FIRE!!!

I am thinking that I will want to go to a gym and do something else, maybe a yoga class so as to start working on relaxing my muscles into a more limber state. Then I'd like to find another high energy cardio workout to add to that. But for now, I like just jogging. It lifts me up, makes me feel great and after 3 weeks, I am already seeing a difference.

Plus, my problem is I always take things I do (be it exercise or whatever) too far, pushing myself to the edge where I get burned out too quickly and end up quitting. One day at a time, I tell myself now and not to the extreme; I don't want to make the same mistakes over again.

However, I do look forward to the day when my exercise routine consists of 5 days a week, instead of just 3. I know for me, when I look good, I feel good. I cannot wait until results are evident. That I am sure will push me to do more and stick with the jogging. I've come a long way baby, and I am not stopping now.

No comments: