Tuesday, October 13, 2009

It's Over

We finally had Fatty's birthday party on Saturday. And now, I can finally breathe a sigh of relief.

By far, one of the easiest parties I have ever planned (right up there next to Boobie's 4th, his 9th and Princess's 2nd). All I really had to do was show, and shell out a truck load of money LOL. I did cook, but a simple arroz con pollo meal with tuna salad and Green tea mix with mother in laws all natural juice blend. I was stressed out a little bit the Friday before the party, mostly worrying about who would show, who would flake and who would be late.

Quiet a few people showed up late (some right in time for the food portion of the party (which was about an hour and a half into the party). But I was just happy almost everyone showed up. Out of the 30 kids I paid for, only 3 were no shows. Really, only one was a no show, since the other 2 weren't definites to begin with (not sure why I paid for them in the first place but thought it better to pay than have them show up and have no 'cajita' or pizza for them). Wrong. Should have just stuck to 28 kids..... 3.600 colones down the drain... well not really, but kind of.

Anyway, it was a great party. so relaxed (mainly because everyone had fun and I didn't have to do anything). There was a face-painting station (and I have to be honest, the face-painter was a bit amateurish for my taste..should have left her off the contract). There was a moon bounce, much to the kids delight. Little slides and jungle gyms for the smaller kids and little houses for them to play in.

Balloons everywhere and even games and prizes. I especially loved the game where an adult teamed up with a kid to play 'name that tune'. If you recognized the music playing, both adult and child had to run to the chair, sit down and name the song. So much fun. And a nice little workout.

Of course, there was a pinata, shaped like the number 1. Lots of candy for every child to go home happy. And the food was pretty good too. Pizzas and popcorn for the kids with juice, a hearty lunch for the adults , cake and sandwiches for each child.

Then of course, as per my tradition, each adult got a favor to take home as well... a nicely done bookmark with Fatty's picture and birthday info.

I even bested myself this time around and made little Mickey Mouse shaped heads (cut out of yellow paper and covered with sticky contact paper to make it a little hard and less prone to tearing or creases ) with a poem, glued to toothpicks and tied with a nice blue ribbon that read:

God's gift from above
Filled with lots of joy and love
My little boy, my baby son
Jahel Cesar is finally one!

It had his party's date written on one ear.

I loved just about everything about the party. From the stickers the hostesses handed out with each child's name on them, to the tour (which lasted maybe an hour and included a trip to the TV studio, the earthquake exhibit and the new shadow picture freeze frame exhibit), to the games and prizes. Even Fatty's little gift he got from the museum, a nice museum t-shirt.

I liked that I had so many people, around 48 total. I loved that the kids had a blast and the adults had so much fun, they all (well most of them) stayed after the party and visited the other exhibits in the museum (a perk of having a party there... you get to stay there as long as you choose, until closing of course).

I was enjoying my role as the birthday boy's mother, not hostess, not entertainment, not organizer, not center of all the attention. I had a nice back seat to all that was going on and it was great. I didn't even have to serve food. Or drinks. I just handed around the birthday card for everyone to sign, handed out the favors and made sure everyone was content, merry and had what they needed to have a good time. Not much else for me to do. There were 3 hostesses.

From start to finish, the party went off without much of a hitch. My first worry was whether we would have enough time, being a 2.5 hour party and all. But everything fit. Not sure what time we actually started or when we actually ended... but all I know is the party room was ready at 9 and by the time it ended no loose ends were left untied. We got everything done in time, and in what turned out to be 3 hours of party time after all.

The one downside: Fatty was not having much fun. He wasn't out and out crying, but he was cranky. He was tired and was not happy being the center of attention most of the time. But he was manageable. Between myself and hubby and hubby's friends, he did OK. The irony was after the party, he perked up and was in such a festive mood, so different than how he was at his party. However, on the car ride home, he pretty much collapsed in a heap of exhaustion.

My one regret, not getting enough video footage. I always forget to do something at a party, be it to take enough pictures, take pictures of all the kids, or something. This time, it was video that was lacking. It just slipped my mind. I was pretty much caught up, even from my backseat. But I don't regret much else. And I have to say, the party was a success all the way around. Looking forward to the next one.


pictures to come!!!

No comments: