Friday, October 2, 2009

Weather Wise

The weather has been unseasonably hot. So splendidly hot, it felt as if I were on the beach most days, just missing the sand. There was one day this week I actually wished we had an in ground or stationary above ground pool so as to cool off in. I was melting, literally. As I waited at the bus stop on Tuesday, I could feel the sun pounding down with such force as if with some kind of hatred. The clouds refused to offer any shelter from it's blaze and the breeze blew so minimally, as if to say, "ha ha, no cool for you". The only respite on such a hot day was inside the cool shelter of one's home.

I was loving every minute of it. As with a lot of people, I am sure, my mood can be directly affected by the weather. If it's nice and warm outside, I am cheerful and happy and motivated to get things done. If it's drab and gloomy outside with no sun in sight and dark clouds looming, I get very down, sad and lackadaisical.

I am generally a moody person, whether by nature or nurture. But my moods tend to swing to one end of the pendulum depending on the day and sometimes on the kind of climate we're having.

Of course most people are more energetic in the sun. Not too much sun for me though, as the sun wears me out, leaving me feeling lethargic. But on nice days, I feel good. No, great! Rain doesn't bother me so much as hinders what I might have planned to do that day. But usually if I am just home, chores done, a nice 'natural' shower is soothing to the soul. Not to mention the glorious scent from nature after a good downpour.

However, constant downpour weeks on end, thunder to shake the walls of my house and lightning so bright you feel as if it's right next to you can put a damper on my sunny attitude.

And those damn dark clouds! They come, they go, then they come again. They hover like a space craft. I expect this weather in Costa Rica because it is now officially October, one of the rainiest months of the year. And without rain, well, we know what would happen. So I settle into my winter weather mindset, almost like I did in Boston, except I don't have to really go out and get a whole new wardrobe.

However, I have been pleasantly surprised with the weather we've been having thus far. I really could not complain. Today isn't sunny though. A bit overcast but not cold. A nice day in all respects, compared to some. It did rain, but only enough to replenish the vegetation, not enough to be considered torrential. But it did keep me inside, mostly.

I have enjoyed the sun, the heat, the brilliant blue skies stretched for miles. And I enjoyed my mood with it. I just hope I don't get too depressed when the sun decides to go into hiding, letting the clouds have all the fun.

No comments: