Sunday, June 7, 2009

Benefits Of Exercise? Feel The Burn

I was so excited to finally start (seriously) exercising that I woke up Saturday with a spring in my step. No matter that I barely got enough sleep the night before. I couldn't wait to get to spinning class.

I got dressed and rushed out the house. I left early too. Didn't want to be late for my first class. I had no idea what to expect. But I knew to expect a workout.

Class was full. Thankfully I got there 10 minutes early (I had chosen to attend the 9 am session). I didn't know who the teacher was, but a guy was helpful enough to help me to get situated, so I grabbed the nearest bicycle and hung up my jacket. After claiming my spot (near the door), I waited for the class to start. The teacher finally came over, a very physically fit, well clad lady, to help me out on the bike. She showed me the various speeds (low resistance, high resistance... I was to stay at medium). She showed me the different positions on the handlebar and she helped me strap my feet into the pedals. Seeing as it was my first class, I was the rookie... everyone else there seemed to know each other somewhat and seemed to already know what they were doing.

The class was better than I expected. Energy was high and the music was upbeat. I guess for the money, I wasn't expecting much... at just over a dollar (c700) for an hour session, I thought it would be more of a self led class. But no. The teacher did a few warm up exercises, blasted the music and class was off. And it was HARD, but I was definitely not disappointed. You don't just sit on the bike and pedal really really fast (like I thought). You do lots of different pedaling... fast, slow, using only your legs (that hurt). And you rotate different positions like standing up, leaning back over the seat, leaning forward. You work your arms (because of the resistance work you do pushing against the handlebars while pedaling), your stomach, your butt. I have to say I am very proud of myself for keeping up with the class. I started out slow and kept a steady pace, but I never gave up. The first half of the class was the hardest. My legs definitely felt the burn. But OMG (oh my gosh). What a rush! The second half, I got my wind and was in the groove. I was actually disappointed when the class ended.

I look forward to next week, although next time I will remember to bring a towel (man, do you sweat buckets) and WATER. I ended up buying water.

I was on a high after leaving the class, even though my legs were wobbly and I thought they would give out, leaving me sprawled out on the floor. I had to watch every step carefully for fear of falling flat on my ass. But I told myself, it's just a side effect of using those muscles. After all I haven't been active like that in years. I figured my legs would feel better in a few hours.

The next day, however, my legs feel worse. I can barely sit without grunting... I have to hold on to the sides of the toilet just to sit down to pee. It hurts to stand up from a seated position and I can't even cross my legs over my thighs. I can't have the baby or Amaya sit on certain parts of my lap. They burn even when I am sitting and hurt when I'm lying down. My muscles feel like they are on fire and my legs feel like they are about to be ripped off my body and run away. No one told me I would be in so much pain the day after spinning. I can barely walk. Even my butt and in between my legs hurt.

I'm just hoping my thighs heal and I feel well enough to attend the next class. I don't think it really matters, though. I am so excited for the next session, I think my legs would literally have to be atrophied for me not to go. I have already convinced hubby to come with me.

No comments: