Monday, June 22, 2009

My Fourth Child

We joke about our husbands and significant others being like one of our children... but it's no joke. It really is true, especially when they get sick.

The world just about stops spinning (or in my case seems to spin out of control) when my hubby gets sick. You know how moms don't get sick days? Well, that's not the case for our men. They get to take a day, or two, or three to recuperate from an illness and the icing on their cake is they have us, their women, to take care of them. It's funny because when I was sick, puking my guts out, I pretty much took care of myself.... for the most part. I mean hubby tried (bringing home food and TRYING to wrangle the kids), but I still had to play the mommy role.

So just one day after Fathers Day, hubby gets sick. And not just 'the lie in bed, whoa is me' sick. The 'crabby, coughing, hacking, feeling like he'll die,' kind of sick. He got what he always gets... an infection in his throat... a sickness only penicillin can cure. And when my hubby gets sick, he gets SICK. His inner baby comes out.

It's tough having a sick partner because not only do I have to 'tend' to him, I also have the kids running around, crying and needing my attention as well. On days like today, one of me isn't enough.

Today, he spent pretty much all day huddled under the covers in bed. I felt bad for him. When I am sick, I like peace and quiet... well, it was far from peaceful or quiet in my house. Princess would not stop crying all day. Fatty refused to nap and so occupied my time and both my hands for most of the day. It was difficult to get anything done, while trying to help hubby get better, but I did my best.

It wasn't until the afternoon that he realized that staying in bed wasn't going to cure him. He needed to see a doctor and get a script for some medication.

I always wonder: How would men fare if they had to go into labor? I get that being sick sucks... the chills, the coughing, the chest pains and body aches. It's no picnic. But do they have to act like they are literally dying?

I just hope he feels better really soon. I seriously cannot handle FOUR kids.

No comments: