Tuesday, June 23, 2009

By The book

My first born was a 'by the book' baby. Like most first time mothers, I was anxious to make sure my baby was on time for all his milestones and developments. I subscribed to numerous magazines and read countless books on the topic of baby's progress.

I was so happy to see that my baby boy was crawling when the book said he should, cruising at the right age and even walked on time (per the magazines age recommendation). He started babbling and got his first 2 teeth around the time the books said he would I was thrilled. My baby is so smart, I thought, he is going to be a genius

I can laugh about that now, as a mother of 3 children. There is no 'right time' for a baby to hit all their milestones, as all babies develop differently and at their own pace. No book can specifically pin point when a baby should be doing certain things. They can put your mind at ease or alert you when there is cause for concern, but they just 'guesstulate' basically when babies do certain things... it's not an exact science. Most babies don't even crawl, and many books will now tell you it's not even that big a milestone anymore.

Some babies don't babble until well past the time many books tell you to expect this milestone and they turn out fine. And still yet, some babies don't even try to walk until well after their first birthdays. I have heard stories of moms saying how their baby never uttered more than a few words until one day, they started speaking in full sentences, all to their doctor's dismay. And even how their babies never once cruised the furniture or tried to stand but all of a sudden, at the age of 2, stood up and started practically running. This proves that while some babies are doers and try to get things done right away, other babies are observers and take their time until they know they can master a skill.

I look at Boobie when he was a baby and compare how different he was to my other babies. Take for example, Fatty, my third baby. He is 9 months now (where DOES the time go?). Fatty isn't crawling (he does scoot backwards). He has no teeth. And he has no interest in walking (I tried putting him in the walker, to which he bursts into tears). At that age, Boobie was cruising (where babies stand up using furniture to aid them walk). And he was an expert crawler, having learned at around 6 months. Plus he already had a few teeth.

Princess was advanced when it came to cooing, practically babbling at birth. But when it came to crawling or cruising, she took her time. She did learn to walk at 11 months though, where-as Boobie learned a month after his first birthday.

Who knows what Fatty will do before his big brother and sister, but I know what he's NOT doing. However, I figure I am an 'expert' at motherhood by now to know that I have no cause for concern (yet). He has hit a few major milestones in my book... though not BY the book.

While I have read when to bring up certain concerns to the doctor, I also know when to just take it easy and let babies be babies. I was so worried and eager to see Boobie grow that I think I was more into what he would do next and not too focused on what he was doing 'now'. I want to relish in the fact that Fatty isn't crawling around yet... means I get to hold him that much longer in my arms. I like the fact that he is still toothless... means less nips at my boob from him. I like that he is being what he is, a baby. And that is fine by me.

While I understand the need to compare one baby to another (my mother in law is famous for this, letting me know just how far advanced brother in law's baby is compared to mine), I also understand no 2 babies are alike. It's no big deal, to me, that Fatty isn't even crawling yet while his younger cousin is trying to walk. And it's definitely no cause for concern either. He's just not ready.

With that said, I am so thankful Boobie was a 'by the book' baby. I think I needed that as a first time mom or I would have maybe freaked out a little if he had not hit all his milestones 'on time'. But experience and 2 more kids have taught me better, and for that, I am grateful.

No comments: