Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why Me?

Being sick sucks. And when you're a mother, it sucks even worse, as mommy's don't get sick leave.

A little nasty bug decided to come to my house for a visit and stay a while. It settled over my house like the plague and left a small pool of sick people in it's wake.

It started with Princess. Then not long after, Fatty was sick. Soon after Fatty, I got the bug. Then it passed right along to Boobie.

Monday started out normal enough. I woke up and made breakfast and lunch for my two older guys. Then I dropped Boobie off at school. I was feeling pretty peppy that day too as I looked forward to the day ahead of me. I didn't really have much planned; the usual chores, laundry. But I was looking forward to going to the library and picking up my library card. I was going to finally be able to rent books, magazines, and more books. I was excited.

I got a call from my Avon lady. She was going to drop by and pick up the money I owed her. So I put off the cleaning until later. I decided to head out to the library before it started to rain.

After picking up Boobie from school, I laid Princess down for her nap and decided to try and put fatty down for his nap as well. Then it hit me. I started to feel just a little bit off. I wondered if I'd eaten too much. My tummy felt full, but not in a good way. Then I wondered if I ate something 'bad'. Soon after, I was struck with a full blown sickness I hadn't felt since I was pregnant with Fatty. I quickly brushed off the nagging question in the back of head, wondering "could I be pregnant??????" No, it had to be that damn bug, I re-assured myself. My stomach sounded and felt like it was at war. Then the puking sessions began.

My sweet little Boobie was kind enough to come in a few times and check on me (I was lying in bed, my head hanging off the side, over the trash can, too weak to make it to the bathroom). He brought me some water, which I was thankful for as my throat was so parched I felt hoarse.

He was even kind enough to keep Princess busy and active in the living room, while I thanked my many blessings, as I pucked my guts out for the bazzillionth time, that the baby was asleep.

I was trying to get some relief by taking a nap when I heard puking sounds that were not my own. "Boobie, is that you?' I inquired of my son. His weak voice came back with confirmation, in between gagging sounds. Oh no, he was sick now too. At this point the baby was awake.

I made sure to call hubby at work to warn him. I was sick, so there would be no dinner. Then, to let him know Boobie was also sick... so he needed to get his ass home asap to help take care of the little ones.

It was a really rough couple of hours. And after spending more time over the toilet and ON the toilet than I would like, I was finally able to go to sleep.

Since I figured it was a 24 hour bug, I looked forward to feeling better the next day. But Tuesday wasn't that much better for me, except for the fact that the vomiting had ceased. I kept Boobie home from school (the first day of school he's missed), just in case he was not 100 percent healed.

My energy was shot. I felt weak, hot, cold, tired, thirsty, hungry, sleepy. I survived on crackers and water most of the day and left the cleaning until I felt up to it later that afternoon. I spent most of my time sitting on the couch in the living room reading, while the tv blared in the background for the little ones to enjoy.

I put a call in to hubby to let him know I was sick and there would be no dinner. He mercifully brought home a pizza for the kids and some comfort food for me, fish and chips. YUM! After not having anything solid in me for a whole day and throwing up whatever solids I had eaten the day before, it felt good to eat again. I did wonder if I should have started with something so 'heavy', but I dug in just the same.

I HATE being sick. I don't know anyone that likes being sick, but I HATE being sick. My house goes to shit when I'm sick and my kids suffer because 'mommy is out of commission'. The only good thing about being so sick you're puking your lungs out is the hope that I would at least lose a few pounds in the process... a sordid thought, I know. But if I'm going to be sick there should at least be some kind of reward afterwards.

Thankfully it's over now. The bug has done it's damage and hopefully has packed it's bags and is on it's way out of my house. I just hope that before it leaves completely, it doesn't claim another victim. Namely, hubby.

No comments: