Saturday, June 27, 2009

Rain Rain Go Away

And come again another day. Look at that, it worked!!!

Yesterday was not a magnificent day... the presence of dark clouds looming above, threatening rain, stayed around most of the day. But the rain never came. So even though the sun barely poked its face through the clouds, the day remained nice and fairly warm, and DRY!

While I bounced around a few ideas of places to take the little ones, I really just had no desire to leave home (fear of rain and all). But we managed to stop by the park near Boobie's school for a couple of minutes. While not a great park (especially not great for kids... the parks here suck and that is another post in itself), it was nice to get on the swings and help Princess on the monkey bars (I should have some built in my yard as they are a good form of upper body exercise).

I know rain every day is to be expected... it is the rainy season after all. But I want it to be a little more predictable, like how we all pretty much know it usually rains in the afternoon. I hate when it starts to rain before 10 a.m. I would much prefer it to rain after 3 p.m... that way I have pretty much the whole morning to get what I need to get done. Some days, the rain obliges and holds out until after Boobie is out of school around 2. But other days, and these are the days that depress me, the rain decides to come just a bit too early for my liking. When the clouds roll in and push the sun behind it's dark blanket, I get sad. If it's in the morning, I actually get pissed off. But what do you do... you can't reason with the weather. It's unpredicatable and does what it wants. Nature is a bitch (we all know she's female). So her moods change from day to day.

Today, like most Saturdays, I slept in... and it felt good while I was in the bed, but as soon as I got out of bed, I started to chastise myself for not getting up earlier. First off, I skipped yet another spinning session (shame on me). Secondly, at 10 am, the day is almost over and I have too much stuff to do to stay in bed so late... but a weeks worth of sleep deprivation will do that you.

I started on laundry ASAP, but not soon enough before the sun disappeared and I could hear thunder in the background. My clothes were still washing when the first drops hit the pavement. I was not happy. But it's really my own fault. If I had gotten up just 2 hours earlier, I would not have been caught between the rain and my laundry. I would have been able to hang out my clothes and they would have been dry long before it started showering. It was a nice hot morning afterall. AND I missed it!

As far as my laundry goes, it will have to wait for another day (although this problem could be solved with the purchase of a dryer. However, that is another post for another day).

So it rained, HARD! The earth has had it's bath and now it's over, to come again tomorrow, I am sure. It looks dreary outside, but clean. I LOVE the smell of the earth after it has rained... so delicious smelling, you can almost taste it. I sometimes even love the sound of the pitter patter of rain drops on my roof (a nice sound to doze off to). Everything looks reborn after a thorough sprinkling of rain... the trees look happy and the plants sing wih their blossoms.

I have to admit, sometimes when it rains a bit earlier and then stops, it's a nice change. And alows for a nice change of pace, slowing down the mornings. Then you can have the rest of the evening to do what you please. And with the rain being over early, it almost feels like a new day afterwards.

No comments: