Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Reality Check

Floating on cloud nine? Nothing like a sick child to bring you back down to earth.

So I was so giddy about my brand 'new to me' used stroller that I had jitters all night. You know the feeling you get when you're about to start something new... a new job, a new school, a new school year? You can't sleep because you're too excited. I was restless, just thinking about all the possibilities open to me now that I had a double stroller to cart my halflings in. I could take long walks, go jogging, go on trips to the amusement park or the museum without worrying about carting 'fatty' (the baby) around on my chest. The possibilities were endless and I was happy in la-la land until I got a rude awakening. Literally.

Hubby woke me up to inform me Princess, my 2 year old, had been throwing up. It wasn't as bad as I had expected, but walking into her room at 1:30 am this morning, groggy with sleep, the first thing that came to mind was "argh, I just put these sheets on the bed!" Of course I was concerned for my baby girl. I know what it feels like to throw up, and it's no picnic. Imagine what a 2 year old must feel like.

So I took the sheet off the bed and changed her shirt. And she got a treat by cuddling up in bed with me. I thought for sure she was ok then, snuggled up close next to mommy, cleaned up with a nice drink of water to help that 'taste' in her mouth to go away. I was racking my brain to figure out WHY she was throwing up. Was it something she ate? We ate out at the mall for dinner but she didn't have anything out of the ordinary. Chicken and fries. Hubby blamed all that fried food. But if it was what she ate, then I thought we should all be a little sick, no?

Around 3:30, she started throwing up again. Thanks to my good sense, my sheets and her clothes were spared this time around (well, just barely... she still needed a change of shirt). I grabbed the trash can and held her over it. My poor poor baby. What was going on? After we were back in bed, it dawned on me (*insert light bulb over my head here*). My father in law had told me yesterday how he was throwing up the night before. Princess spends a lot of time with my in-laws. Could it be whatever ailed my father in law the previous night was passed on to my little girl. Possibly. It's happened before.

So today, I'll keep a close eye on her. I made her some tea. And I'm hoping she has an appetite later (after all that running around yesterday, she didn't really eat much.)

Nothing like a big dose of reality to put things in perspective. While the stroller is nice and all (I still can't wait to 'test' it out even though the excitement has waned a bit), it's just a stroller. I just want my baby princess to get better.

No comments: