Thursday, June 18, 2009

YAY!!!!

I was finally able to get out the house today. Since the birthday party on Saturday, we've been stuck at home due to rain. Every morning I would wake with my hopes up as the sunshine streamed through fluffy white clouds and heavenly blue skies... only to have my hopes dashed as soon as the menacing dark clouds rolled in. The day hasn't been staying clear long enough, so usually by the time I'm ready to head out, it's too late.

Today I almost gave up hope. By around 9 am, the sky changed from a nice blue to a dark gray. I was resigned to stay home yet again, even though the list of things to do was getting longer with each passing day. I was so looking forward to getting the kids out the house too... hanging out at the park and having an ice cream cone.

I decide to wait it out, see if it would rain or not. Thankfully it didn't. The clouds rolled away and the sun actually emerged stronger than it had been in the morning. I strapped the kids into the double stroller (my super cool double stroller) and headed off. I went to the next town over, not too far for a stroll and some errand running. First stop, the bank. Then the grocery store. I also made sure to get two small (though they were pretty big) ice cream cones. The day was nice and warm, sunny and cheerful just the way I like it. We sat on a stone bench in the park by the town church and gobbled up every last drop of 'helado'.

I wanted to enjoy the day. I wanted to soak it all in and suck up every last bit of 'happiness'. I wanted to just take my time, people watch and chill for a bit. We thoroughly enjoyed our cones, fingers licked and all.

Then it was time to head home. I was so satisfied with our day. Now that we're in 'winter' (the rainy season) I am limited to what I can do with the kids without a car. That little outing made my day. And the little exercise was good too (I was huffing and puffing up that little hill that connects the two towns, sweating buckets). And getting home never felt so good as when I had left it.

No comments: